Taita Taveta County is on the northwest of Mombasa and on the southeast of Nairobi. The county is located in Coast region and constitutes four constituencies namely; Taveta, Wundanyi, Mwatate, and Voi.
Nutrition and Food Security Advocacy Training
Kenya SUN CSA in collaboration with International Medical Corps and World Vision Kenya organised and facilitated a four-day Nutrition and Food Security Advocacy Training in Voi, Taita Taveta County, from 21-24 October 2014. The County Nutrition Officer and UNICEF’s Nutrition Support Officer were among the organisers the event.
The training and advocacy workshop was attended by 35 participants from Worldlife Works, Government Ministries (Agriculture, Health, Wildlife and environment, Livestock, APHIA Plus, Kenya Red Cross Society, World Vision Kenya, ADS Pwani, Sauti ya Wanawake, International Medical Corps, United Nations Children’s Fund, World Food Program, County Leadership (County Minister for Health, County Chief Officer for Health, Devolution, Livestock, Agriculture), Media houses (Anguo FM, Sifa FM, Kenya News Agency, KTN, The Standard Newspaper, National Environmental Management Authority, National Drought Management Authority and the Constituency Development Fund. The County Chief Officer of Health Dr Cathrene Mwamuzi stated that nutrition is a concern for all people, and should be a collective effort. She pledged to provide support to the County SUN CSA Chapter. The County Government committed to increase resources to address malnutrition.
- Increase budgetary allocation to the Health Sector from 26% in 2014/2015 to 30% in 2015/2016 and in turn increase the budget allocated for nutrition from 0.004% in 2014/2015 to 10% in 2015/2016.
- Reduce by half per month, cases of Sexual Gender Based Violence and abuse (rape cases) by the end of 2016.
- Increase enough water for domestic use and irrigation.
- Influence knowledge attitude and practice in implementation of
Infant and Young Child Nutrition policy through enhanced community initiatives.
- Strengthen and support SUN CSA County Chapter to ensure continued momentum in mobilising actors for advocacy work.
- SUN CSA Chapter to spearhead lobbying for increased allocation of the County resources to health and nutrition.
- Support County Nutrition champion to work with SUN CSA Chapter.
- County stakeholders to sustain dialogue, advocacy and programming focused on food and nutrition security. This will be done through multi-stakeholder’s lobbying for active participation of food and nutrition security stakeholders in reviewing the CIDP and the County Nutrition Action Plan.
- Document best practices at the County level.